Monday, December 2, 2013

Currently....December

Yay! It's that time again!

Farley is hosting the Currently linky party over at her blog, Oh' Boy Fourth Grade.

So, without further ado, here's mine....


listening... so I went on iTunes to find songs for Hanukkah and ended up with a whole lot more!!! Now have a playlist on my phone to listen to over the holiday season. And some really cute songs to sing for Hanukkah. The Latke song by Debbie Freidman is my favourite. Check it out!


loving...well, if you have been reading the blog lately, you'll know that I not only had a cold at Halloween (that lingered and lingered and lingered) but then a flu last week AND strep throat on top of it all! Today was day 1 back at it after sleeping for 8 days. Geez, they were chatty!

thinking...there was a time a few years ago when my daughter refused to attend school - any school- for over a month. Needless to say, back then I was just hoping she would get out of bed, go to class and (with a lot of praying) graduate from high school! But, once she hit grade 11 she really blossomed. She is now not only talking about going to university but just got accepted to her #2 choice, York University (in Toronto). I am so proud of her for pulling up her bootstraps and working hard to meet this goal. But, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I wish she was going to be closer. 3,000 miles seems awfully faaaaaaar away!

wanting...pretty self explanatory. Have you looked at the cost of university lately? Her first year is going to run close to $25,000 by the time we are done paying tuition, residence, food plan, flights to and from and daily allowance. Yikes! Cross your fingers that she gets some of the scholarships she'll be applying for in the coming weeks.

needing...okay, so I know I'm not really behind if I'm not done on December 2 but I have this thing about being finished my Christmas stuff as much as possible before the end of November. With being sick and all, that timeline is slightly shifted. Maybe I could mix them in with writing report cards? One report card, one Christmas card, one report card, one Christmas card....

favourite tradition....hands down it is Christmas Eve. We turn off the lights, turn on the tree (this year we'll have a fire, too, as our new place has a wonderful working fireplace - unlike the other years when we would play the fireplace screen on Shaw cable!!!!) and have a picnic on the floor. We started this the year that my good egg was born. The menu is pretty consistent. Finger food and appies and wine (don't forget the wine!) We have shrimp cocktail (this one is a MUST DO for our daughter!), cheese and crackers, olives and other appies. After eating, we open all of our presents to each other. Then we watch a Christmas movie. Often The Sound of Music - though I'm not really sure why this is a Christmas movie. I just know that ever since I was a little girl, it has played on tv around Christmas time and I strongly associate it with the holiday season. It is the one time at Christmas that is just the 3 of us. After that, it is all extended family time, friend time, busy, busy, busy.

And there you go...my December Currently...what are you doing these days?

Cheers!

Ms. Hughes

2 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas Eve tradition! It sounds like a PERFECT way to spend Christmas eve! :) Happy Holidays!!!!

    Soaring Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a great tradition with your family! I'm excited for the future to make traditions like that...I'm still just a single girl, so Christmas Cards are my favorite part right now!
    Congrats to your daughter, too! How exciting...and sad that she'll be so far away if she goes to school in Toronto!
    Michelle
    BigTime Literacy

    ReplyDelete