Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Teachin' and Blog Hoppin'


Day 3 of the Linky Party over at Blog Hoppin'. Today is all about organizing for teaching. That is a REALLY big topic!!!! I'm going to stick to one aspect of it: keeping student data organized.

I would love to be able to show loads of photos but, as I mentioned yesterday, I haven't been able to get into my classroom much. I've only actually had one day in the space and that was spent putting furniture in place.

Luckily for me, there are other teachers out there in Pinterestland that use the same organization techniques that I do! So, I thought I would just describe a few things that I do to make keeping data organized in my teaching life easier and, where possible, show you a picture from someone else who does the same thing.

So, here goes!!!!! 

1. Labels - I love labels! Last year with the move to the new school and all the chaos going on I really didn't make use of this organizational tool. Basically, what I try to do is keep track of observations etc on labels which I can then just stick into my binder where I keep all the students data. Sort of like this (but without the really pretty clipboard!):


use address labels, clipboard, and large index cards. Write your notes on the address labels as you walk around and observe. Later, stick them onto the child's index card. Quick and easy! Then, during parent/teacher conferences, just pull out the note card and share your observations.
from Spotted in First Grade

2. Scrapbooks - I keep a scrapbook for every student. I get them through my school. They are ordered from Grand & Toy. I keep monthly writing samples, copies of their report cards, goal setting conference forms, awards, drawings, photos, graphs to show progress, etc. I pull these out every time I meet with parents. I like them because they are a useful tool for data collection and make a nice keepsake at the end of the year.
 
 
3. Student Data Binder - this is pretty basic and I use the same one from year to year. Since so much of their info is kept in the scrapbooks, all I really keep in here are the actual test results (that I put on the graphs in their scrapbooks) and my labels with observations written on them. Also, any communication with parents is noted in this binder. I sewed the cover to my binder so that it looks different from a regular binder. This helps me not to lose it when it gets piled under a bunch of papers!!!!
 
Those are probably the top 3 things I do to help me stay organized and on top of student data. I am hoping that I can go a bit more digital this school year so these organization methods may shift a little bit!
 
There are, of course, tons of other things I do to stay organized! I could go on and on and on...you get the idea! I may do another post once I've had a chance to actually set up my classroom so that you can see what I am talking about.
 
Until then, hop on over to Blog Hoppin' to check out all the other great organization ideas in their linky party!
 
 
Ms. Hughes


No comments:

Post a Comment