Friday, February 21, 2014

Looking Towards the Sun

On Valentine's Day last week, I received so many wonderful goodies and notes of love from my lovelies. I felt very spoiled!


Even my daughter's cat, Simon, got to enjoy the goodie box! (Couldn't manage to get a pic when his head was IN the box though!)


But, I have to say, that the note I found from one of my class parents tucked into my Valentine's box, touched my heart like nothing else in the box and, really, like nothing else in a long time.

Not a note from a parent about their child. But a note from one person to another.

She wrote to me about my writings on this blog about my parents.

It was a simple note that I didn't realize I needed until I read it. 

A note of understanding.

A note of encouragement.

A note of caring and love.

And it truly meant more to me than I can possibly express.

Earlier in the evening, on Valentine's Day, I was walking to the bus when the sun came out of the clouds and hit the treetops just so. I was struck by it and stopped to take a picture.


It seemed that the tree was glowing with fire. This picture really doesn't do it justice. The sky was grey and formidable. The day rather dreary (even with it being the day of romance and all!) weather wise.

It was one of those moments where I, quite literally, was stopped in my tracks. 

It was one of those moments when I just know that there is a rhyme and reason to life (even if I can't figure it all out!) and that all will be okay. I am not a very religious person but it was a spiritual moment for me. I don't know why. It just hit my heart.

So, what does all this have to do with the lovely note from the mom in my class? Well, in her note she told me that she hopes and wishes that I "will look towards the sun and not the shadow."

Goose bumps or what?

Here I am being struck by the sight of the sun overpowering the shadow of the gray day while carrying (unbeknownst to me) the note in which this parent has written those words to me. 

Here I am having this moment of calm in the storm and these words are just quietly waiting in an envelope in my bag.

A message I needed to hear. A message delivered to me not just through the words of this parent but through the universe itself. 

A simple but strong reminder to keep having faith. To keep believing in the positive. To keep remembering that the love others give me makes me stronger ( Here is where I am once again beyond lucky to have the job I have. How many other jobs consist of getting love every day, all day from 23 lovelies? I have enough love to be as strong as Superman!!!!) To keep trusting that the love I feel in my heart will be enough to get me through. 

So, a simple thank you. For your words. For the message.

I got it. Message received. Soft and clear.

Thank you.

Ms. Hughes


1 comment:

  1. I just love this! Special notes that are what we need at the time we need it. What a wonderful mom.

    ReplyDelete