Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Currently....October

Wowzer! I can't believe it is already October and I am only on my fourth day with my class. It is such a weird thing starting the year so late.

Anywho, I am linking up with Farley over at Oh Boy Fourth Grade for this month's currently.



listening...Criminal Minds started tonight and, boy, is it a creepy episode. I'm not a big one for horror type shows or movies but there is something about this show that hooked me years ago.

loving....my new class is rocking it!!!! I know that we are still totally in the honeymoon phase but so far I have to say I am loving the whole bunch of them.

thinking....well, if you are a regular reader of this blog you will know that there was a little kerfuffle with my blog this week.  My full glass attitude yesterday had a bit of a crack into it. It felt like a big old black cloud came down over me. However, today I got the silver lining. I had a student give me a card this morning. The card was a thank you for myself (and my colleagues) for all we did during the strike. I have to say that reading it made me teary. This family had no idea of the troubles I had been going through with this blog the day before. They just wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to their son's teacher. It filled my heart. It reaffirmed my belief in the basic goodness of people.

(On another note...I have since learned more about the complaint that was made but will wait for another post to get into THAT one! Trust me...I am still shaking my head at what it was really about!)

wanting...since school started up I have been working such long hours that I have not been managing to get to the gym in the mornings. I'm still getting to my after school yoga class but I miss running. I am determined to have my body back on track as far as my fitness routine goes. 

needing...this relates to the one above. While I am working on adjusting I am drinking too much coffee and not getting enough sleep. While I would love to drink more coffee, I think getting more sleep would probably be better for me in the long run. So, I'll be working on that!

trick or treat....TRICK! So, this year I am using a lot of different signals to let the class know when a transition is coming. I am determined that I will not get laryngitis (a yearly affliction in the early fall after a summer of little to no talking!) and so am trying something new. 

So far, it is working brilliantly. Wondering what the signals are? Well, your basic lights on/lights off for the 5 more minute warning before clean up and then my wind chimes for the actual clean up during choosing times. Pretty basic. But brilliant as far as I am concerned. I literally do not have to say a word. They just start cleaning up. It is miraculous!

But, my favourite type of signal by far is using song signals to let them know when it is recess ( a lunch song is coming soon!) When they are working at their desks and they hear the recess song, they know that they have to clean up, wash hands and get their snack out to start eating. I don't have to say a word. It isn't perfect yet but, boy, is it nice not to feel like I am nagging at some kids to clean up and get going already! 

I am loving the song and it was super cute today seeing some of the kids dancing away to it once they had their snacks out. Anywho, thought you might enjoy a listen of the song I chose, so here it is:



If you decide to give song signals a try in your class, let me know how it works out for you! And if you come up with some fun tunes! 

Anywho, I am going to follow my own advice now and go to bed early. Talk to you soon!

Cheers!

Olwyn

1 comment:

  1. We started using a program called Pax 4-5 years ago, and though I don't believe in many of the aspects of the program, I don't think I would ever give up my 'signal' (we use a harmonica). I don't know how many bouts of laryngitis it has saved me from!

    I'm glad you were re-motivated to continue to write. It's amazing how it works out that we get those good messages right when we need them!

    Have a great week!

    Dawn
    Apples, Owls, and Peppermint Mochas

    ReplyDelete