Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Lest We Forget

We spent a lot of time this past week talking about peace and Remembrance Day. I wanted to share with you today, on Remembrance Day, some of the wonderful ideas our class came up with.

First, here are some examples of the PEACE acrostic poem that we wrote with our big buddies.





I love the last one where A stands for active helping. Now wouldn't this world become 150% better if every single person became an active helper?!?!

And here are the poppies we made in Community Arts & Crafts...


We did some activities before making these poppies. It was a two day process with all 92 students in our community. 

On day one, we read Todd Parr's book called The Peace Book ( I got smart about reading a book to 92 students at once and photographed all the images so that I could put the book on the smartboard!) and then we brainstormed all the many things that peace can be before doing our own writing. We made the poppies on day two and added our writing to them. I am hoping that they are gracing front doors and refrigerators all through our school neighbourhood!

Here's the book we read. If you haven't read it, you need to. In fact, you can't really go wrong reading any of Todd Parr's books. He is awesome!!! You can check out his website here. And to find out more about the book you can click on the picture of it below...

The Peace Book

I am always humbled by the ideas that children can come up with for these types of activities. Sometimes I think that if all the adults in the world would follow the advice of children, we would have a much happier and peaceful world!

Here are some of their thoughts...

Peace is...
  • being kind
  • having food
  • wishing on a sun
  • helping people
  • having toys
  • skating
  • having fun with friends
  • sleeping
  • school
  • wonderful
  • recycling
  • having dreams
  • planting trees
  • reading to myself
  • watching birds fly in the sky
  • playing with my dog
  • sharing
  • hugging
  • spreading love
  • having a house
  • learning
  • being me
And I have to share one of the Peace is... pieces in its entirety. This kid gets it big time!!!!


Can you read them all?

It says Peace is...
  • giving love to someone you love
  • saying something nice to someone
  • being free
  • having a family
  • being a kind person
  • being a nice expecter
  • having a home
  • being a great friend
  • taking good care
  • giving a present to someone
  • a grateful world
  • giving cards
  • eating food
My favourite one? Being a nice expecter. When I asked her what she meant she said it meant expecting nice things all the time. As in, having a positive attitude, looking at the bright side, having a half full glass etc. I just love how she put it. Be a nice expecter. That's something I can totally get behind!

I hope that you find some inspiration in the words of these young people. Their wisdom far exceeds the amount of credit given to them. 

Wishing you a peaceful and gratitude filled day.

Cheers!

Olwyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment