Seeing as how we are currently studying the ocean and dolphins, I really wasn't sure how this completely unrelated event would go over. But I am happy to say that the class seemed to really enjoy it and had good questions to ask to boot! (The cuteness of the calf didn't hurt in holding their interest either!!)
Some random facts we learned:
- there are over 700 kinds of cows
- it takes 20 minutes to milk a cow and they need to be milked 2-3 times a day (hence the invention of the milking machine!)
- cows make up to 8 milk jugs worth of milk a day (the 4 litre ones!)
- a calf can walk as soon as it is born
- the cow they used to milk is named Pearl and she is a twin
- cows like molasses
- calves drink milk until they are 4 months old
- cows have their first babies when they are 2 years old
- milk in Canada can not have any antibiotics or hormones in it
- cows sleep 8 hours a day, eat 8 hours a day and chew their cud 8 hours a day
- cows have 4 stomachs
- cows drink a bathtub full of water each day. Unless it is really hot and then they drink more!
- cows eat the equivalent of something like 1,200 bowls of cereal a day!!!!
And here are some photos of the 2 year old cow (a smallish one at something like 1,400 pounds!) and the 2 week old calf.