Monday, October 10, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving To All!


Just back from a relaxing long weekend away (where I am proud to say I did NO school work of any kind!) and, of course, I was checking out my education sites and blogs within minutes of getting home!!! It is always nice to get away but it is equally nice to come home and start planning and thinking about what we will be doing in class in the coming weeks.

This week the grade 1's will be finishing our study of Canadian symbols. So far we have learned about the maple leaf, hockey,and the animals buffalo, caribou, Canada goose, loon, beaver and polar bear. This week we will be finishing off with the R.C.M.P., the totem pole and Canadian money.

It is amazing how different my teaching methods have had to be for this unit. Most years, I teach this unit later in the year - in February or March - and the students are ready for more higher level thinking. This early in the year they just aren't ready. The result has been my having to change each lesson to better meet the needs of the students right now and make sure that they are learning the required curriculum. It will be interesting to see how this group has grown when I get them again in a couple of months!


Ms. Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment