Tuesday, October 11, 2011


Today in class I read the book Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon as part of our Healthy Living lesson. I am so glad that I did because a little later in the day one of the students cut off a big chunk of his beautiful blond hair. He has a great look - all long and shaggy like in the 70's. Only today, one of the other students asked him if he was a boy or a girl. Hence the hair cutting later in the day.

I was glad that I had read Molly Lou earlier because it is the story of a girl who is very small, with buck teeth and a voice like a bull frog being squeezed. She is not a girl who looks like anyone else. Throughout the story her grandmother tells her to be true to herself and others will follow. When she moves to a new school and is bullied by one of the students she just keeps on going being herself and, in the end, the bully's behaviour changes and he becomes her friend.


Ms. Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment