Friday, December 14, 2012

Starting to feel the magic....

It is that time of year when we all want to believe in a little magic.

This week in writing, I saw magic in action.

One of the things I love the most about teaching grade 1 is when the light bulb goes off and a student's learning just takes off.

It is like magic.

One day it is as if they can hardly write a sentence and then, magically, they are writing a half a page and it makes sense!

Of course, it is not magic. It is teach, practice, teach, practice, teach, practice over and over again day after day. 

But, even though I know all the effort that went in to learning the skill, it still feels like it just happened. Like magic dust!

I have to do a shout out to one of the students (you know who you are!) who has recently been sprinkled with some of that magic dust.

In September, this student's writing looked like this...

It says:
This is my house.
I like my house.
This is my house.
It has a (something!)
 
 
And, this week, the same student wrote this...


 
It says:
Finally,the gingerbread girl passed a cow. The cow said "I was going to eat grass but I think I will eat you instead." But the gingerbread girl said, "Run, run as fast as you can. You can't catch me. I'm the gingerbread girl.
 
 
Without any help from me! I am so, so proud of how hard this particular student has worked this term.

I can hardly wait for the whole class to feel the magic!!!!!
 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment