Thursday, September 15, 2011

First Day of Daily 5

Yesterday we had a mini - lesson on picking books for our book boxes. We learned the I PICK chant. Check out another class doing it here:


It was really cute watching the kids all trying to follow the other kids in the video.

Then we went and picked books. I have not put out my levelled books yet so students are choosing from the wide variety of picture and chapter books in the class. We have been learning about the three ways to read. Those that can read words are doing so and those that are beginning readers are practicing reading the pictures. They are keeping their books in these great boxes that I recycled from my Dad's office.
They will easily hold all of their reading books, poetry journal and guided reading bags. We decorated two 8 1/2" by 11" sheets of paper and glued them on the outside to personalize them.

Today we started Read to Self. The class did a great job! We got to 5 minutes with all of them staying in one spot the whole time, starting to read right away, reading the whole time and being very quiet. The goal is to get to 20 minutes of doing read to self. They already have more stamina than most classes so we will most likely meet our goal fairly quickly. The sooner that they are able to do this independently, the sooner I will be able to start working one on one with students assessing their reading levels. I already have a pretty good idea of where they each are but I would like to do a formal assessment to help with making the groups for guided reading.

Ms. Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment