Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I hate being sick!!!!!!

So, I went back to work on Monday after sleeping my weekend away. And two days later...I am home with laryngitis. Ugh!!!!

I hate, hate, hate feeling well enough to teach but having no voice to do it with! It totally sucks! 

So, in an attempt to make myself feel better, I have been surfing youtube finding videos that make me happy and fill my heart. Consider yourself warned...I will undoubtedly jump on my soap box a time or two today!!!!!

I like to think that my being forced to sit at home and get better might result in your enjoying a big smile!

The first one is the Gratitude Dance video that I am planning to show on Friday when we do our Gratitude journals.


This one I love because it proves so clearly that appearances can be totally deceiving.


Here's a video by my favourite band, The Script. This song always makes me think of  my Dad. FYI, there is one swear word in this video (just in case you watch with children nearby!)


And another video that makes my heart full. Anyone who know me, knows that I am fully supportive of inclusion for all regardless of any differences, be they race, gender, sexual orientation or anything else. In my eyes and in my heart, we are all equal and deserve to be treated with the same love.

My brother-in-law and his husband celebrated one of the very first marriages in Ontario, over a decade ago, when same-sex marriage became legal. After many, many years together they were finally able to be legally recognized. How wonderful!

Soon after their marriage, at the young age of 5, my daughter experienced her first run in with homophobia when a parent in her kindergarten refused to let her play any longer with her daughter once she learned that my good egg has two married uncles. 

Today, I look at my beautiful, strong, 17 year old daughter, who sees no difference between gay and straight and feel proud to have raised her to look with her heart. This song gives me hope that, one day, the whole issue of marriage being straight or gay will be a long distant memory. That one day marriage will just be that...a marriage of two people who love each other.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox, now!


And, last but not least, a flash mob that brings a great, big smile to my face! And (to your relief) doesn't send me to the top of another soapbox!!!!!


Cheers!

Ms. Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment