Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What's your awesome?

Okay, so last week we did our gratitude journals a little bit differently. If you got them at home and were wondering just what the heck was going on with them, I will explain...

I want the class to think about gratitude as being more than just things that they are grateful to have. I mean, there are only so many "I am grateful for toys" that I can handle!

We want to go deeper people!!!!

So, last Thursday we watched two videos on youtube. They are soulpancake videos done by Kid President. Know who he is? No? Well, you are in for a treat!

These videos crack me up!!!! And...they have the added bonus of talking about "bringing your awesome" which is what we wrote about last week.

I asked the kids to tell me what awesome they were going to bring to our school community. What would they do that would make other people grateful for them? 

So, here's a peak at the videos...




This kid makes me laugh, smile and want to be a better person. I love him!

Aside...I asked the students after the song what they thought it meant about the waves being bigger than our boats. I got lots of answers but...

after we were all done and heading off to write in our journals, one of my lovelies came up to me and said, "Ms. Hughes, I think it means that life can be hard but we can get through it if we try." 

Wowzer!!!! My heart got so full! It just about burst! 

Here is this kid who has trouble getting his thoughts on paper, who is struggling in some areas and, yet, when it comes to the really important stuff, the HEART stuff, he GETS it. I mean, he really gets it! It makes me feel so blessed to have moments like that with students.

Anywho, am off to hug my lovelies for another day!

Cheers!

Ms. Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment